After a discussion in class about changing environmental conditions and Wilmington, NC, I figured it was appropriate to bring up Wrightsville Beach erosion. In the above picture, it is evident that the land is unnaturally changing. The beach is jutting out every which way as if there is a missing puzzle piece. This erosion is horrible in about every way possible. Popular spots along the beach are being ruined, the like the well-known "Wrightsville Beach mailbox". This is a mailbox that was once well into the sand dunes surrounded by trinkets left behind by those who chose to visit and even a small tree. Now the only thing left is just the mailbox stand; beach erosion has destroyed the ambiance of the place.
Also, wildlife, such as sea turtles are no longer aware of the layout of the beach from year to year when they return to lay their eggs. They lay them in their usual spots which are no longer protected, and many of the babies that would have survived do not even have a chance. Also, dunes that protect the million-dollar houses behind them are being destroyed and thus destroying beautiful property.

I wasn't able to see your picture but by your description, it seems that the land is changing really fast. It doesn't make sense that we (human beings) aren't helping to prevent this. Obviously, there are countless numbers of ways we would want to help, but I'm not sure why we're not. Probably because our resources are being allocated to other matters that are more superficial, in my opinion. Anyway, I love turtles and I really wasn't thinking about how they are being affected by a shifting coastline. But wow, if they are laying their eggs and then they can't find them, the turtle population is going to dramatically decrease. And I don't want that. I don't think anyone does.
ReplyDeletei like turtles.
I think it was a really good idea for you to talk about Wrightsville Beach. This is very familiar place and many people have connections to it in North Carolina. It is awful that the sea turtles cannot find their eggs because of the erosion that is occurring. While humans may not be able to directly help the erosion that is effecting the coast, there are many ways for people to protect the turtle's eggs.
ReplyDeleteIt is awful that property is being ruined, and eventually it will not just be the current waterfront houses. After the erosion takes the front houses away, there will be new ones that will also soon be washed away.
Great post!
It's so sad to think about beach erosion because the beach is a commonly known and loved place. If I were to help the environment in any way at all, I would probably help restore the beach. So many memories happen on a beach and it's such a beautiful sight. It's also home to million and millions of creatures. Erosion is such an awful thing and I hope something can be done about it in the near future.
ReplyDeleteMy artifact was deforestation and how fast forests are being depleted in the US. It's scary to actually be able to see how, today, there are hardly any forests left, especially on the eastern side of the country. You don't really know how bad something is until you see for yourself and it definitely makes you want to do something about it. See you in class! :)
Land erosion is definitely a big issue. Having also grown up on the coast I've seen first hand places I grew up knowing and loving slowly transforming into an entirely different place, causing some areas to be nearly unrecognizable. As you pointed out, an immediate effect of this is harm to the wildlife who know these areas as home and are stuck without anywhere to go. Millions of dollars are spent by people on beachfront property, but if it wont be there in 10 years, who wants it! Excellent post, A+ work.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree and pretty much the same as Sam, have watched the beaches I grew up with change. It brings a good question to my mind though. Sea turtles have for thousands of years been able to adapt to changed or eroded beaches. This makes me think that we as humans are to blame for their inability to adapt to their changing environment. We have littered and taken over the beaches for entertainment leaving turtles with so little room to live and lay their eggs. In sixth grade my schools mascot was the loggerheads. Just thought Id point that out.
ReplyDelete