Sunday, January 29, 2012

Water

After class discussion on Friday, I was thinking:
Water is all around us and determines if we live or die...
Knowing that, why do we continue to abuse it as if we could live without out it?

Our class discussion made me truly think about the longevity of our water supply. Postel explained the enormous percentage water filtration would have to increase in order to support an ever- growing population. The number is almost unfathomable, and I'm not really sure that it's even humanly possible to produce that much water. That being said, I highly doubt that our technology is going to stay the same. I'm sure that some brainiac somewhere will come up with a solution.

I did disagree with the idea presented in class that not using so much water here would provide water for people in other countries who do not have it. After traveling a few times to South America and having a best friend from Haiti, getting water to many third world countries requires a much greater solution than just water conservation in the United States.

Our class discussion led me to add "water conservation" to my Google Alert list because it's something I feel like I have become a little more interested in this semester. I found a really interesting article about several villages in India that have made water conservation an "invisible idea" in their community. It is so engrained in their way of life that they do not think about doing it any differently. I bet their grandchildren and great-grandchildren will not suffer as much as ours may have to...

No comments:

Post a Comment